Friday, April 8, 2011

How to Re-Paint Furniture from youtube



Saving this video for later use. I want to learn to re-paint furniture. This looks like a good tutorial. Love me some educational videos :)

Oh and here is a helpful article I found

How to Paint Without Leaving Brush Strokes

How to Paint Without Leaving Brush Strokesthumbnail
Paint Without Leaving Brush Strokes

I decided to paint my bookcase myself. But as I progressed I noticed a lot of thick brush strokes that wouldn't go away no matter how smooth I tried to make it. When the bookcase finally dried and I realized the brush strokes were here to stay, I decided to do a little research myself. I just could not figure out what I did wrong. I wanted that smooth finish that you see everyday. So here are a few tips to eliminate those unwanted brush strokes and get that smooth, even finish.

Difficulty:
Moderately Challenging

Instructions

things you'll need:

  • Paint Brush
  • Foam Roller
  • Floentrol/Penetrol
    • 1

      Relax. Most of the woodwork you will ever see is sprayed with a spray gun. So if your using a brush don't expect the same finish.

    • 2

      Buy a soft brush. There are only two different types of brushes out there. Brushes for stains, and brushes for paints. Most the them are made of nylon these days. Benjamin moore makes great brushes as well as that can be rinsed out and used over. Purdy also makes great brushes that are a little cheaper. Expect to spend around 10 on a good brush.

    • 3

      Choose your paint type. Most paints these day are all latex acrylic. Oil based paints are an old technology. Some paint stores don't even carry oil based paints these days. Different paint sheens can make a huge difference in the size of your brush strokes. Flat is your least likely followed buy Matte, satin/pearl, eggshell, semi gloss, and high gloss. Once you get to semi gloss it's almost impossible to paint without leaving brush strokes.

    • 4

      Add an additive to your paint. Thinning out the paint will take it longer to dry but during the drying process it will have more time to settle flat. Floentrol is one of the best thinners out there. Penotrol is it's counter part used for rare oil based paints. You mix about half of the bottle into a gallon of paint.

    • 5

      Brushing the paint on is the easy part. Long thick strokes going with the grain of the wood are best. Do not soak the brush. You only need to dip about an inch of the brush into the paint. Going any further will only result in unused paint dying on the brush before you can wash it out. When your done or in between coats, store your brush in the freezer. This will prevent the paint from drying into the brush for short periods of time.