Sunday, August 15, 2010

Africa Trip Letter



Here is a copy of the letter I sent to some family and friends about my upcoming trip to Africa.

Dear Family and Friends, I hope all is well with you and your loved ones and that you have had a great summer. I am writing to you in regards to my upcoming mission trip to North Africa. My trip will take place September 3-12, 2010. I will be traveling with a couple from my church, the Gieseckes. Though I cannot disclose the specific country or city we will be visiting here in writing for the safety of the missionaries we are visiting, I want to share as much as I can about my trip.

Over a year ago Tim and I were blessed to meet a beautiful missionary family, the Hatfields, at our church. They were staying at our church’s mission house for their time in the states. During one of our Sunday School class fellowships it was mentioned by our Missions Pastor, Jim Witt, that upon their return to Africa we should plan a time to visit them to be of encouragement.

The H’s, are what I like to call “undercover missionaries” working with an unreached people group, meaning that the Bible and the message of Christ has not been shared with the vast majority of the people of their native language. Part of their mission work is a goat farm project where they raise goats to be given out among the most needy widows in their area. The people keep these goats for their milk. I am very excited to learn more about their work from first hand experience. Our primary objective is to be of encouragement and prayerful support to the H’s. We will join them in some of their regular work of befriending the natives, sharing the love of God, and praying for them.

I look forward to learning about what it takes to run a goat farm and what the life of a missionary in Africa is like.
I am excited to say that well over half of the cost of the trip has been covered with the help of my First Baptist Garland church family. I am trusting the Lord to help me cover the other $1,000. My plane ticket has been purchased, the vaccines have been scheduled, and I am already making my list of things that I will need to pack. This is my first time overseas and I am not gonna lie, I am excited and nervous all at once over this new experience.

Please remember to pray for me during my travels. Please pray that God’s will be accomplished in and through me and that I will be sensitive to His leading. Please pray for health for all of us as we travel. And now that you know about the Hatfields please think about them as you pray, they have two preschool children and two on the way (they are expecting twins). I look forward to sharing with you about what happens as I go. Because Christ said “go” I am on my way.

Thank you for your prayers and support,


Rebeca E. Carpenter

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations. Matthew 28: 19a