Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Prayer Updates for my Dad

My parents with their grandkids this summer

I am re-posting the notes I have been writing on Facebook

by Rebeca E. Carpenter on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 6:38pm

Please be in prayer for my father, Carlos Escobedo, who is in critical condition at the ICU at Regional Hospital in McAllen, Texas. Yesterday evening my mother, Isabel Escobedo, found him unconscious at home. They have him sedated and on a respirator which they are slowly weaning him and are at about 50%. They are running several test to see if he suffered a stroke or any brain damage. Though his doctor thinks it was more likely a heart attack they are still running several test to know exactly what happened.

My father has had health problems for almost as long as I can remember and has been on dialysis for over 16 years. He does not have diabetes but his kidneys do not work because of a tumor. Even through all this my father has been very mission minded and tries to help pastors and churches in Mexico. His health has definitely continued to decline through the years, but we have seen 2 Corinthians 12:9 evident in His life...

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Please be in prayer for him and my mother. I am so thankful for the body of Christ who is surrounding my father and mother with prayers, love and support. Thank you from the Escobedo family.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Rebeca E. Carpenter on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 2:32pm

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for my father. God has given my father victory over a lot of health battles. My family knows that it is only by God's grace and power that my father has lived this long. Over sixteen years ago I was in a doctor's office with my dad when the doctor told him that he had four months to live. God has been good to the Escobedo family and we give Him nothing but praise. "His mercy endures forever!"

My mom has told me that my father is in a coma and his breathing is close to nothing with the respirator back at 100%. My mom is still waiting to talk to the neurologist and see the results on the brain scans. My father's doctor has told my mom to wait until tomorrow to make any decision whether to take him off life support. But in some ways they have told my mother to prepare for "the worse."

As I think about this I remember something I learned in college from my New Testament professor. I had been struggling with the question of praying for healing. I told my teacher after class about not knowing exactly if I was praying the right way. I was praying for my father's healing, primarily for him to get off dialysis, and for full recovery of his kidneys and the sort. I prayed constantly and fervently while at the same time doubting my faith and if I was praying God's will. My professor answered with a question. He simply asked "What is the worse thing that could happen to your father?" I thought a moment and said, "Well I suppose the worse thing that could happen to any person is that they would die and go to hell, but that can't happen to my father because he is a believer." He went on to tell me about how we sometimes view sickness and disease as a curse and one of the worse things that could happen while failing to see that God can still use that for His glory. That has really stuck with me and given me hope and a new perspective in life. When I shared this with my dad several years ago I think it was also very meaningful to him because I remembered he shared it with the church that evening (My dad is a pastor for those who don't know).

In this time as we are possibly facing the possibility of what the world will sometimes call "the worse" I turn to them and through tears reply you mean "the best?!" Because for a believer we should say like Paul "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21

Praying God's will be done. Rebeca E. Carpenter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Rebeca E. Carpenter on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 4:43pm

Thank you to everyone who is praying for my family. We received relatively good news from the neurologist. He said my dad's brain is still responsive and though it is not working perfectly it is not as bad as it could be at about 40 % activity. His heart is still beating on its own and it is mainly his lungs that are not working. The doctors don't have a conclusive report on what caused him to go into a coma so they will be running more test tomorrow. Today he will undergo dialysis and they are also waiting to see how he responds to that.

My sisters and I are set to leave early Saturday when my sisters are off work. Tim and I are still trying to decide whether I should leave before then, but for now my mom wants me to wait for my sisters so we can all come together. Please continue to pray for us and for peace and wisdom.

My mom keeps telling my dad that he needs to get better and keep fighting because we are coming to see him. We pray that he does get better and that God will continue to use him for His glory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a song that Tim was playing tonight that which lyrics speak to my heart today

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea:
A great High Priest, whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.

My name is graven on his hands,
My name is written on his heart;
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look, and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.

Because a sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God, the Just, is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Praise the One,
Risen Son of God!

Behold him there, the risen Lamb
My perfect, spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I am,
The King of glory and of grace!

One in himself, I cannot die
My soul is purchased by his blood
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ, my Savior and my God
With Christ, my Savior and my God