Sunday, September 28, 2008

I am a fan of Star Parker

This is not my best picture, but the person to my right is one of the best persons I know. Tim and I had the best time at the Downtown Pregnancy Center's Annual Gala listening to Star Parker speak to a crowd of over 200 pregnancy center supporters. Star Parker founded the Coalition on Urban Renewal & Education (CURE) in 1995 to jump start national dialogue on issues of race and poverty. She is one of the most dynamic speakers I have ever heard. She speaks the truth boldly. I wish I could summarize everything she shared with us, but instead I will just say that she does have some books out that will more eloquently share her message.
For a brief view of her message you can follow this link to an article by her on her website. Click here.

"Today, inner-city black children grow up in broken families, go to public schools where traditional values are off-limits, and consume popular American culture that celebrates the relativism that has destroyed these communities" -Star Parker